This is based on Bernice’s No Bake Strawberry Pie recipe from Hobby Farm Homes. But I couldn’t afford 4 cups of chopped fresh strawberries, so I… improvised! I created a Strawberry/Cherry/Pineapple pie, and an Orange/Cherry/Pineapple pie.
They are sooooooo delicious! Not too sweet, very light, nice and cool for summer… So I had to share the recipe! (And, you know… write it down so I don’t forget! Somewhere permanent, like the internet… :X )
*NOTE* If you’re substituting fresh fruit for my cheap canned stuff, be aware that there’s an enzyme in pineapple (and other potential ingredients) that makes gelatin fail to set. This only applies to FRESH foods. Cooked (and canned) fruit have the enzyme nullified.
Ingredients: (makes one pie)
- 1 9-inch graham cracker pie crust
- 1 3oz package of fruit-flavored gelatin dessert (strawberry or orange)
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/4 Cup water
- 1/2 Can cherry pie filling
- 1/2 Can pineapple chunks or mandarin oranges
- Non-Dairy Whipped Topping (optional)
- Combine water, sugar, cornstarch, and half of the juice in the pineapple (or mandarin orange) can. Boil on Med-Low heat, stirring until the mixture is clear. Add the gelatin and stir until fully dissolved. Remove from heat. Mix in half a can of cherry pie filling.
- Arrange pineapple chunks (and/or mandarin orange slices) in the pie crust. Pour the warm filling mixture over them to fill the pie crust.*
- Chill in the refrigerator for several hours, until the pie is firmed up.
- Serve with non-dairy whipped topping!
*TIP* If you have too much filling for the pie, you can dump it out in a glass or mug or tea cups and create miniature gelatinous dessert cups. Chill or freeze, then eat right from the cup with a spoon. It will be sweeter than your typical Jell-O(tm) or Knox(tm) Blocks.
I shop at ALDI’s, so prices are super low. Since the recipe only calls for half cans of stuff, here’s the base cost for two Bloodsong’s (Cheap) No Bake Fruit Pies (should I ™ it?)
- 2x 9″ Graham Cracker Pie Crust (@.95) 1.90
- 2x 3oz Strawberry/Orange gelatin mix (@.35) 0.70
- 1x Can Cherry Pie Filling 1.69
- 1x Can Pineapple Chunks 0.99
- 1x Can Mandarin Orange Slices 0.89
- Cornstarch (negligible)
- Sugar (negligible)
- 1x Lite NonDairy Whipped Topping (optional) 0.89
- GRAND TOTAL=======================$7.06
or $3.53 per pie! Yum!